Winter Recipe – Vegetable Soup
(V) – This recipe is a vegan option recipe!
No matter the outside temperature, a soup recipe is a comforting and healthy option for winter in Arizona. Take a look at this simply and satisfying winter veggie soup recipe.
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
½ pound leeks, trimmed, split in half lengthwise, and well rinsed
1 medium white onion, chopped
½ pound carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal
2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced on the diagonal
2 tablespoons dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 tablespoons dried split peas, rinsed and picked over
2 tablespoons dried small white beans, rinsed and picked over
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 quarts fat-free, reduced sodium chicken or for vegan option use vegetable broth
One 14½-ounce can no-salt-added plum tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
¼ pound spinach, touch stems discarded
1) In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Thinly slice the leeks and add them to the pot along with the onion. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables wilt, about 5 minutes.
2) Add the carrots, celery, lentils, peas, beans, thyme, pepper and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3) Stir in the tomatoes and continue to simmer, covered, for another 15 minutes, until the white beans are tender.
4) Stir in the spinach and simmer, uncovered, until wilted, about 3 minutes.
5) Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
Calories: 130 calories (20% calories from fat)
Total Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Protein: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Dietary Fiber: 5 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 130 mg
Potassium: 120 mg